Re: emacs questions

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs questions
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 10:44:00 +0200

> Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 00:11:26 +0000
> From: Pedro Sa da Costa <i29685@alunos.di.fc.ul.pt>
>
> I'm trying to have code completion in emacs, but i don't know what to
> do. In eclipse, when we writing a java code line, for example:
> System.out., we do C^SPACE to show a window with several methods
> associated (printl, print,etc).
> I would like to have something similar in emacs. Can anybody help me?

Try M-TAB with cursor on the symbol; is that what you are looking for?

> And, if the solution passes through etags, can anybody give me a simple
> example, because i don't understand why etags are useful.

etags is useful because it lets you find definitions of functions,
methods, classes, typedefs, macros, etc. without the need to remember
on what file in which directory the corresponding source lives.

> It's possible to see, while we are programming, if we did a mistake. In
> eclipse, when we do an error, for example, forget a ; , an underline
> appears in the line indicating that something is wrong. It's possible to
> have something like this in emacs?

There's a CWarn mode for C and C++, but I don't know about similar
features for Java.  Anyone?

> Why, sometimes, when we do copy from another application, and we try to
> do paste in the emacs, emacs only yanks the last thing we cut or copy in
> emacs?

You need to make sure that no other kill or yank happened between the
copy/cut outside Emacs and when you want to paste into Emacs.