Re: how to highlight fine differences in Diff mode?

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: how to highlight fine differences in Diff mode?
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 14:29:54 +0000

Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote on Tue, 06 Dec 2005
22:45:17 -0500:
>> Is there any way to take advantage of the Ediff machinery inside Diff
>> mode?

> Not right now, tho I'd be happy to take a patch for it.  It's been on
> the TODO list in diff-mode for a while now.  Note that I have recently
> written some related code for smerge-mode to do a similar highlighting
> of refined differences in diff3 conflicts.

FWIW, Diff Mode is right up at the top of my list of favourite modes.

It has been my standard answer to colleagues who sometimes ask "what's so
good about Emacs?".  I just put up a file.diff, and let the goggle over
the fontification - then I show them navigation with n, p, M-{, and M=},
which increases their interest, and finally I show them C-c C-c and C-c
C-a.  It gets them interested.  :-)

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: aacm@muuc.dee; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter