Re: problem with vc-svn + tramp.

From: Emory Smith
Subject: Re: problem with vc-svn + tramp.
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 21:06:41 -0700

George Nurser <agn@noc.soton.ac.uk> writes:

> I am using emacs 22.0.50, running on a powerbook. When I use tramp to
> edit a file in a subversion directory by doing ssh onto a SUN
> workstation, it seems to automatically switch on the vc-svn mode. It
> then keeps failing, with the message
>
> vc-do-command: Running svn...FAILED (status 127)

ive had a lot trouble with this as well.

heres a simple fix that works great for me.

find the following function in vc-svn.el:

(defun vc-svn-registered (file)
  "Check if FILE is SVN registered."
  (when (file-readable-p (expand-file-name ".svn/entries"
                                           (file-name-directory file)))
    (with-temp-buffer
      (cd (file-name-directory file))
      (condition-case nil
          (vc-svn-command t 0 file "status" "-v")
        ;; We can't find an `svn' executable.  We could also deregister SVN.
        (file-error nil))
      (vc-svn-parse-status t)
      (eq 'SVN (vc-file-getprop file 'vc-backend)))))

and replace it with:

(defun vc-svn-registered (file)
  "Check if FILE is SVN registered."
  nil)

this effectively disables vc-svn for all files. im sure theres a
simpler / more elegant way of doing this ... (anyone?)

do note that you will no longer be able to use vc-svn if you do it
this way.

> Incidentally, now does the vc-svn mode compare with the psvn.el
> available at http://www.xsteve.at/prg/vc_svn/ ?

i have not used vc-svn recently, but i find psvn mode to work
great. be sure to update psvn.el it regularly, as it is improved on
almost a daily basis (and if you find it to be lacking some feature,
you can email xsteve and youll probably find it included a few days
later!)

-emory