Re: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 13:11:05 +0200

> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> From: Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE>
> Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 10:38:45 +0100
>

> Am 17.12.2005 um 09:20 schrieb Eli Zaretskii:
>
> > This interface is for browsing a URL, not for printing.  What we want,
> > I think, is a way to print on the default printer that doesn't require
> > the user to press any more buttons or choose menu items on the Web
> > browser.
>
> It would be nicer, if we'd had the chance to set some parameters for
> printing, like two sides on one page of paper, landscape instead of
> portrait

The CVS version of Emacs has the printing.el package that is supposed
to provide these features.  But it only does that for PostScript
output.  It would be a good idea to extend that so that external
programs such as Ghostscript would not be required.  In other words,
we need a platform-independent API to communicate with the system
printers, and then we need to use that API in printing.el.

If someone really cares about better printing facilities in Emacs,
they should, IMHO, get busy adding something like that, instead of
hacking up a workaround thru Explorer.