Re: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 14:11:17 +0100

Lennart Borgman wrote:

If anyone want to write the piece of code that is required for using the Windows printing interface from within Emacs that would very nice. That would be the right solution in my opinion. (As far as I know this will always bring up a box from the Windows printing interface asking for some options for printing. But I am not sure.)

I think I have better give some importants remark more about this:

Such a solution would only suffice for simple printing of what is on screen. (Which is what htmlize-view.el can do with the help of a web browser.) For more complex printing ps-print.el and printing.el is used. They do not produce a buffer in Emacs that looks like the printouts. So to make the above solution really useful that have to be worked on too. Some of the basic support for this (using different fonts and font sizes) are in CVS Emacs today, but I do not know if all that is needed is there.

And I have no idea if such a solution would be welcome into Emacs either. The goal is that Emacs should be as platform independent as possible, but the main target is GNU/Linux. I no nothing about printing in GNU/Linux so I do not know if those pieces above have any meaning there.