Re: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 22:25:13 +0100

Peter Dyballa wrote:

Are there something similar available on other platforms?

Of course! We have some more decades experience.

Usually there is no GUI. If there is one, it comes from the windowing system, for example X11. This one is very basic, so that desktop environments like OpenWindows, CDE, KDE, Gnome, (Classic) Mac OS, or, Aqua on Mac OS X bring something better.

Below all this all UNIX dialects have a print spool mechanism that is now in its 30s. A printer can be attached to parallel, serial, or USB ports or exist somewhere in Internet, or Intranet, attached to the net or attached to a print host. When you create the print queue for this printer you have to give these details to the operating system. OS routines then determine what kind of input arrived, and what kind of input the printer accepts. If a difference is found, the printer queue's input (output of some programme) is converted according the printer's needs. These days this mechanism is based on CUPS, the Common UNIX Printing System (http://localhost:631/). To access printers on the net it uses a slimmed down HTTP connection (so it's open for cryptography or authenticated connections to the splendid printer at your dean's desk).

These ideas are so simple, that some couldn't resist to copy ...

Thanks! I glanced trhough the pages. It looks to me that the printing interface in CUPS is different from that normally used by GUI applications in Windows.

AFAIU in Windows the operating system through the GDI (graphic device interface) using the printer driver takes care of creating the code to be sent to the printer. This does not seem to be the case in CUPS. Is not each application there responsible for creating printing code? Do I understand it correctly that this the application creates some kind of intermediary code that can then be translated through "filters" which the printer drivers provide.

Does not this mean that the printing interface as such must have quite different implementations in Windows contra system that uses CUPS?

Please note that I am not an expert on printing at all. I am just trying to understand.