How can I get emacs to show ^m, (a carriage return)?

From: Don Monticello
Subject: How can I get emacs to show ^m, (a carriage return)?
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 21:35:50 -0500

Hi,

Our emacs on our Red-Hat Linux refuses to show the "return character" ^m. On our unix system the character shows up and you can search for it by doing c-s c-q c-m. But, on the Red-Hat Linux emacs not only does it not show the character it will not find it with the search c-s c-q c-m. xemacs works fine on both systems, showing and/or finding the ^m character
with a c-s c-q c-m search.

Any idea on how I can get emacs to show ^m and/or find ^m with a c-s c-q c-m search?

Thank you,