Re: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 06:30:08 +0200

> Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 00:30:26 +0100
> From: Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se>
> CC: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> >>I will try, but is there any technical reason to assume that this works
> >>differently?
> >>

> >I don't know, it's hard to tell without taking a good look at how your
> >printers are configured on that specific system.
> >

> As you know I am using for a general solution. I can personally get
> around this problem in a number of ways.

The general solutions was what you already tried and said it didn't
work.  So what remains is specific to your system or to the printer in
question.  Perhaps therein lies a general problem to which we can in
the future find a general solution, but first we need to find a
solution that solves only your specific problem.  We need to move from
specific to general.

> >What ``reset of the printer''? what does that have to do with this
> >thread?  We were talking about printing text; by contrast, Reset is a
> >command that you send via some kind of managerial interface that has
> >nothing to do with Emacs or its way to send text to the printer.
> >Please don't make a mistake of taking Ilya's deliberations seriously.
> >

> I have seen setups where the networked printer was left in some
> PostScript mode after printing. What I was trying to say was that I do
> not know if you bypass the part of the printer setup that resets it
> (from for example PostScript mode) when you access it the way above.

It is a job of the software that interfaces with the printer more
intimately to do this, not of applications such as Emacs.  I have a
Postscript printer connected to one of my machines, and I never had to
reset it between a job that printed Postscript (e.g., with ps-print)
and a PCL6 job from another application.