Re: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 08:41:06 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> I did not test with colors (it is no color printer) but that probably
>> won't work in the same way, will it?
>
> Well, obviously you cannot see colors on a printer that doesn't
> support color ;-).
>
> If the printer is a Postscript printer, though, ps-print has a feature
> whereby you can remap faces to use color-less typefaces instead; for
> example, the face for comments could use bold-italic, keywords could
> come out underlined, etc.  I attach below the mapping I use for a very
> long time.

So, do I use the same technique? First set `printer-name' and then
execute some ps-command, like maybe `ps-print-buffer-with-faces'?

>> Btw, I first tested without setting printer-name (which on Windows XP
>> has the default value PRN) and printed, and Emacs froze. Don't know
>> why though.
>
> Probably the PRN port is captured by some non-existing device, or
> something like that.

OK.

> (setq ps-bold-faces
>       '(font-lock-comment-face
>       font-lock-keyword-face
>       font-lock-builtin-face
>       font-lock-function-name-face
>       diff-hunk-header-face
>       diff-changed-face
>       diff-removed-face
>       diff-added-face))
> (setq ps-italic-faces
>       '(font-lock-comment-face
>       font-lock-variable-name-face
>       font-lock-string-face
>       diff-header-face))
> (setq ps-underlined-faces
>       '(font-lock-type-face
>       font-lock-reference-face
>       font-lock-builtin-face
>       diff-file-header-face
>       diff-function-face))

Thanks! I will try to hunt down a PS-capable printer at my office and
make a test.

Maybe I can even redirect the printer output to a file and then use
Ghostscript to make a PDF. I have macros in MS Word that can do this
so it should be possible. If, that is, the printer can be configured
to always print to file. I'll test.

/Mathias