Re: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 21:58:41 +0200

> From: Mathias Dahl <brakjoller@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 08:41:06 +0100
>
> > If the printer is a Postscript printer, though, ps-print has a feature
> > whereby you can remap faces to use color-less typefaces instead; for
> > example, the face for comments could use bold-italic, keywords could
> > come out underlined, etc.  I attach below the mapping I use for a very
> > long time.
>
> So, do I use the same technique? First set `printer-name' and then
> execute some ps-command, like maybe `ps-print-buffer-with-faces'?

There's a separate variable ps-printer-name, which defaults to
printer-name's value.  So if the same printer can serve as both
PostScript and non-PostScript one, you need to set only printer-name
and ps-print will work with that as well.

> Maybe I can even redirect the printer output to a file

ps-print will optionally write the output to a file, see the doc
string.

> and then use Ghostscript to make a PDF.

Do you really need a PDF file?  Because if you only want to print in
color to a non-PostScript printer, and you have Ghostscript installed,
you can do that directly.  Here's an example of such a setup:

    (setq ps-printer-name t)
    (setq ps-lpr-command "d:/Aladdin/gs6.01/bin/gswin32c.exe")
    (setq ps-lpr-switches '("-q" "-dNOPAUSE" "-dBATCH"
                            "-sDEVICE=mswinpr2"
                            "-sPAPERSIZE=a4"
                            ))

`mswinpr2' is the name used by Ghostscript to access the default
printer, IIRC, and gswin32c.exe is the console version of Ghostscript.