Re: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 23:22:38 +0100

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

Similar things happen on MS-Windows; see this page for a more detailed

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp
Seems like a good starting point. I have been reading a bit under "Welcome - Part II Desktop Management - Ch 11 Enabling Printing and Faxing". Under this you find for example "Printing Concepts - Printing Job Formats". To me the usable formats there seems to be EMF and Text. The Raw datatypes seems to be for those processes that knows about the printer. When I print from any application in Windows I never care about the actual printer, just if it is a color printer. Of course I want it to work this way in Emacs too.

The Text format seems to be for black and white printing using only ANSI characters. Then it seems to me that we want to use EMF. The problem is how to do this then.

One solution I was thinking of before when I decided to make the prefather of htmlize-view.el was creating EMF just like printing.el produces PostScript today. This seems however to be a lot of work and especially troublesome if printing.el changes so I abondoned that idea. Including code from GhostScript (if there is some GPL variant of that today, I am not sure of that actually) or something similar in Emacs seems much better then. Should not that code do just the conversion above from PostScript to EMF (in principle)? Or am I misunderstanding something in the structure of the Windows printing interface here?

When, on Windows, Emacs writes to a port such as PRN or to a share
name such as \\server\printer, as if they were normal files, this
creates a printer job that passes through a series of processors (see
the URL above) and only in the end is sent through the wire to the
physical device.
Could you give a more specific description of where to find this? I can only find something about using those ports for local printing.