Re: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 21:11:01 +0100

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 08:49:13 +0100
From: Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se>
CC: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Go to this URL:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prdl_pif_dwfo.asp

and then look in the section Printing Processes.

Thanks, but that was on of the pages I have been reading. It is a good overview to start with. I am however looking for something about where in that picture something like

   c:\> copy file.txt \\host-name\queue-name

ties in. (Or dito using LPT1 etc.)

AFAIU, these queues are watched by the spooler, which sends the text
to a printer processor for the designated printer.  The printer
processor converts the text into a data stream suitable for the
printer hardware (e.g., a stream of PCL commands), and then sends that
data stream back to the spooler.  The spooler then sends the data to
the relevant printer monitor, which actually controls the printer's
hardware port.

It think I saw something like this for ASCII input only. Actually the printer processor first calls GDI which produces EMF that is send to the printer driver. So this can print text (only ASCII actually if I remember correctly). That should mean that the above "copy" should work.

However I do not remember that I saw anything about exactly when this works. Do you have an exact link where you found this? Obviously my test fails for some printers (most of those I have tried actually) so there must be something more.

Last time I looked into this I stopped about here because I thought it was not worth the trouble. As far as I can see it will only handle ASCII text when it works. I have seen very little that makes me believe that GDI can handle PostScript and convert that to EMF in the above scenario. Have you seen something suggesting this? (The only thing I have seen was something that could have been that for NT4 (another print job format), but I am not sure and it seems to be gone in later MS Windows versions.)