Re: How to bind keys in emacs?

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: How to bind keys in emacs?
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 08:11:05 +0100

"B. T. Raven" <ecinmn@peoplepc.com> writes:
>> >  Or 'iconify-or-deiconify-frame for w32, apparently, instead of
>> > 'suspend-emacs. I don't know why this is. Do both work under Linux?

Both work under Linux. This is not the discrimant.

>> Why do you think I wrote:

The discriminant is:

>>                                    (if window-system
>>                                        (iconify-or-deiconify-frame)
>>                                        (suspend-emacs))
>>
>> ?
>
> Why do you think I wrote "I don't know why this is":
> ??
> In fact, when I read your code I really didn't understand it.

Since the OP wrote f5 for both save-buffer and iconify or suspend, I
playfully implemented the non deterministic choice:  (random 2)
returns 0 or 1 aleatorily, and oddp test for 1. (I could have used
evenp to test for 0 as well).

> All I did
> was identify what was happening with C-z on my (w32) machine. Also I read
> that suspend-emacs "makes no sense" in a window environment. Now I know
> that window-system can take a value of 'x in addition to 'w32 or nil
> (terminal?).

> I suppose I was flummoxed by the (to my mind) infelicitous
> (oddp (random... statement. I don't have oddp or evenp here.

You should add (require 'cl) to your ~/.emacs

> Would the op
> have learned something if she had obediently added your code to her .emacs
> or would he (!) just have seen "Debugger entered--Lisp error:
> (void-function oddp)?" Anyway (as we all know) every tyro (randomly male
> or female) has certain indeterminate needs.

In a World without Walls and Fences,
who needs Windows and Gates?