Re: How can I move my cursor 80 characters with a key binding?

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: How can I move my cursor 80 characters with a key binding?
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 18:50:40 GMT

"Scott Teresi (sent by Nabble.com)" <lists@nabble.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.20378.1135491010.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org...
I'm trying to figure out how to bind a key combination to a function which
would move the cursor forward about 80 characters (or back 80 characters).
I sometimes type very long lines in emacs and would like to be able to
navigate through the line quicker than one space at a time or one word at
a time. Thanks for any advice anyone can provide!

Scott

Sent from the Emacs - Help forum at Nabble.com:
How can I move my cursor 80 characters with a key binding?

The fastest way to accomplish this is to use incremental search (either
C-s or C-r). Find a word  or substring you want to move to and then press
C-s to move forward or C-r to move backward. Hold down Ctl key and keep
pressing s or r until you get to the instance of the substring you want
and then press Return. The cursor will then be positioned after the
substring. I would bet a not inconsequential sum of money that this will
turn out to me (much!) faster than hardwiring a "forward80" function to a
keychord.

Ed.