Re: lazy-lock vs. jit-lock

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: lazy-lock vs. jit-lock
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 11:39:25 -0500

> Can anyone comment on the relative advantages of these kinds of
> font-locking?  jit-lock seems to be the default in Emacs 21.4, but I
> fount that in some buffers (not necessarily large ones) whole chunks are
> left unfontified.

If those parts are never displayed, then it's "normal" (the default setup
should fontify them stealthily in the background at some time, but that can
be changed and it can take a while anyway, so better not to count on it).
If those parts are displayed and yet they're not fontified it's a bug which
you should report via M-x report-emacs-bug.

> Customizing font-lock-support-mode and setting it to lazy-lock-mode
> eliminates the problem.  So I'd just like to know what I'm missing
> this way.

Lazy-lock has some known bugs (I remember some missing on-screen
fontification using outline-minor-mode, for example), is less efficient, is
not developed any more, and will be marked obsolete in Emacs-22.

        Stefan