Re: emacs + mutt > better quoting of emails while replying

From: Bill Wohler
Subject: Re: emacs + mutt > better quoting of emails while replying
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2006 08:22:00 -0800

thomas <thomas.bsd@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
> I've just installed mutt with emacs as the editor. If I do a reply, I
> get the following lines and the cursor is on the second line (the one
> with Hello) :
> --------------------
> On Sun, Jan 01, 2006 at 05:24:26AM -0800, foo wrote:
>> Hello!
>>   Blablablablabla
>>   Bye
> --------------------
>
> I would like emacs to add to blank lines on the top and set the cursor
> on the first line, that is :
> --------------------
> [cursor is here]
>
> On Sun, Jan 01, 2006 at 05:24:26AM -0800, foo wrote:
>> Hello!
>>   Blablablablabla
>>   Bye
> --------------------
>
> How can I do that? So far, my ~/.emacs contains the following lines:

Add the following to the appropriate hook:

  (when (looking-at ">")
    (previous-line 1)
    (save-excursion
      (insert "\n\n")))

If you're correct that the cursor in a reply is always at the ">"
character, then the first test will succeed. You may have to modify
this as necessary.

I must try to discourage you from replying in this fashion. It's a bad
habit started by Outbreak. As you can see by my reply, it is easier to
see the threads and context when using a common type of replying
technique shared by dozens of mail user agents (rather than a
monopolistic style).