Re: Icon designer wanted (Aquamacs Emacs)

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: Icon designer wanted (Aquamacs Emacs)
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 14:43:04 -0600

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

> But you should still point out that you are searching for help on a
> non-GNU derivative of a GNU project that only runs on a proprietary
> system, and do this under conditions that preclude this work to be
> of use for the upstream project.  I don't think that a GNU help list
> is the right place for that.

Out of curiosity, what would be the right place for that?

Aquamacs is a benefit for Mac users, being native to the interface.
The "straight" GNU Emacs is lacking in many ways in terms of its
useability (from the perspective of Mac users, anyway).

I really don't understand your hostility towards either the Aquamacs
project, or to the developer, or to Mac OS X, or whatever bug is up
your britches.  Do you think that GNU Emacs should not be available to
anyone not running a free Linux or BSD OS?  That it should not run on
Mac OS or OS X, or on Windows or any other "proprietary" OS?  Were you
angry and hostile towards Andrew Choi for making the Carbon Emacs port
possible?  After all, that only runs on Mac OSes as well.

Fortunately for the rest of us, Stallman took a different view way
back in the day.  He decided it was OK to use proprietary software to
build free software.  Adding Aquamacs to the Emacsen available in the
world increases freedom, since it too is free.  The only way it will
cause a fork (as separate like XEmacs) is if the upstream people like
yourself become closed minded and hidebound.

After all, the existing Emacs icons are pretty damned dated and sorely
in need of a facelift.