Re: Icon designer wanted (Aquamacs Emacs)

From: david . reitter
Subject: Re: Icon designer wanted (Aquamacs Emacs)
Date: 4 Jan 2006 04:40:22 -0800

David Kastrup wrote:

> David Reitter has explicitly stated that he will not bother making
> sure that the material with which he is enhancing Aquamacs has the
> required paperwork done.

Sorry, that's not my job and not where I'm competent. Here's how
Google's Eric Schmidt put it: "Programmers want to program, they don't
want to do their laundry." What I can do is to make sure that the
source is documented and the necessary paperwork can be obtained in
case the Emacs project accepts some of the icons. The FSF is competent
at this stuff, and I'm glad they're doing it.

Anyways, the fact that we don't have paperwork for everything in
Aquamacs doesn't make it less free and projects without the legal
infrastructure aren't any less honourable (just less complete -- but
we're unpaid volunteers, so please don't complain). And since we're
doing this for mainly altruistic reasons (and fun), please consider
that if you require everyone -  even downstream projects - to maintain
infrastructure, you will lose developers and maintainers. You remember
that you lost a dedicated maintainer for exactly that reason, don't you?