Re: Icon designer wanted (Aquamacs Emacs)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Icon designer wanted (Aquamacs Emacs)
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 16:09:30 +0100

david.reitter@gmail.com writes:

> I consider our little project nowhere near as important and big as
> XEmacs, and any comparison is out of question.

XEmacs started off nowhere as important and big at some time.

> The other crucial difference is that we're syncing with Emacs CVS
> rather than developing a fork, and we intend to keep it that way.

XEmacs is syncing with Emacs regularly.  It has become prohibitively
costly by now, and I don't think it likely that they will synch again
generally before Emacs 22.1.

> Thirdly, it's simply untrue that developments aren't contributed
> back.  Those that I consider worthwhile I supply myself (and
> anything else is publicly available and may be taken at
> leisure).

The whole assignment stuff is about accountability.  You can't hold
someone accountable for something you took "at leisure".

It's really XEmacs all over again, no lessons learnt.

Pity.