Re: Icon designer wanted (Aquamacs Emacs)

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: Icon designer wanted (Aquamacs Emacs)
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 15:27:36 -0700

Tim McNamara wrote:
If the goal is to promote freedom for computer users and to change the
world for the better,

As I understand it, that is not the goal.  The goal is promote freedom
of software use, for both users and (more to the point) developers.  In
doing so, the world is changed for the better.

then attention must be paid to the useability of
free software and removing the obstacles to adoption by the
mainstream.  If the goal is to carve out some morally superior stance,
then by all means carry on as you are.  As far as I can tell, that's
all the current approach is going to get you.

The morally superior stance is what has attracted people to develop
more useful software, which has been widely adopted.  Whether it is
mainstream or not is irrelevant.

--
Kevin