Re: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs

From: BRUCE INGALLS
Subject: Re: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2006 20:06:03 -0500

> From: Eli Zaretskii
> Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 11:18:43 +0200
> > Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2006 00:00:24 -0500

> > That sure does not look right.
>
> What doesn't look right, exactly?  I took the above as a template, not
> as a literal string that is the printer's name.  If it's a literal
> string, then it is indeed strange, but default-printer-name simply
> calls GetProfileString and GetPrinter APIs, so whatever those return,
> it's the system's notion of the printer.  Unless there's a bug in
> default-printer-name, in which case please step through it and tell
> what goes wrong there.

Agreed. Lennart did say "exactly".
I did not realize that Emacs already had w32 default-printer code.
Does anyone know, or can provide suggestions for default printers for
other platforms, such as mac osx, gnome, kde?
Do the alpha releases of Emacs on w32 set printer-name to default-printer-name?
If so, then w32 printing should already be easy. As per this thread,
all that should remain, is to set a printing-method customize variable
for plain/postscript/ghostscript/htmlize-view, and to make it go.