Re: Icon designer wanted (Aquamacs Emacs)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Icon designer wanted (Aquamacs Emacs)
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 11:29:35 +0100

Joe Bush <bushj004@hawaii.rr.com> writes:

> I disagree with the notion that commercial software is, as a general
> rule,superior to free software. It may have a better HMI, and look
> nicer, but that doesn't guarantee better performance under the hood.

I was talking about the case where we have _existing_ established
software, and _new_ software with a similar goal gets developed.  The
newcomer starts out as the underdog.  This has nothing to do with
free/nonfree.

A lot of software dies the "why bother?" death early on.  Free
software has an answer to that question: "because it is free".

> I've never used an apple, so I can only comment on MS products. I
> think that Microsoft's HMI should in no way be held up as the
> standard to which everything else is measured.

Sure.  A bunch of baloney filtered through usability labs might still
be a bunch of baloney.  I was just talking about
"established/fledgling", and that is, free or nonfree, a difficult
position to start with.  Lots of free software has been able to pull
this off because of the single advantage of being free.