Re: fontsets: (was Re: query-replace?)

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: fontsets: (was Re: query-replace?)
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 11:29:54 +0100

Am 10.01.2006 um 06:12 schrieb B. T. Raven:

No, in U.S. In Eli's codepage.el this block of chars (or glyphs) is headed
by ;; Turkish. This goes with DOS code page 857.

I don't know so much about DOS code pages, I stick to standards:

ISO 8859-1:  Western European Glyphs (Latin 1)
ISO 8859-2:  Central and Eastern European Glyphs (Latin 2)
ISO 8859-3:  Southern European, Maltese, and Esperanto Glyphs (Latin 3)
ISO 8859-4:  Northern European Glyphs (Latin 4)
ISO 8859-5:  Cyrillic Glyphs
ISO 8859-6:  Arabic Glyphs
ISO 8859-7:  Modern Greek Glyphs (ELOT928)
ISO 8859-8:  Hebrew Glyphs
ISO 8859-9:  Turkish Glyphs (Latin 5)
ISO 8859-10: New Nordic Glyphs: Saami, Inuit, Icelandic (Latin 6)
ISO 8859-11: Thai Glyphs
ISO 8859-13: Baltic Glyphs (Latin 7)
ISO 8859-14: Celtic Glyphs (Latin 8)
ISO 8859-15: Western European Glyphs with € (Latin 9, Latin 0)
ISO 8859-16: South-Eastern European Glyphs with €, Romanian (Latin 10)

If you want I can send you my 8 bit Turkish test file in ISO Latin-5. Which should work because you have -outline-Arial Unicode MS-normal-r- normal-normal-*-*-96-96-p-*-iso8859-5.

Apparently your emacs is using Unicode as its internal representation. I
can't do that with 21.3. Thanks for all the food for thought.

No. I took the excerpt off GNU Emacs 22.0.50, the one that is coming closer to Unicode every day. The important thing is that the file has in the leftmost column the right code values. With the encoding line Emacs tries to present these codes in characters belonging to this set. Then I have the right fontset defined so that the right glyphs are chosen from the font(s). The codes in the leftmost column are still 8 bit!

Maybe you know printf, a function in C, that is used in UNIX as a modern substitute to echo, that is also used in script languages like awk or Perl. In Perl

        printf "%c = %d = %o = %x\n", 234, 234, 234, 234;

would create the left columns of one line (in a loop it can become more lines), the others come from a programme that can translate ISO to UTF-8 representation or lookup the Unicode position for that character. The descriptions, I think, are taken from a file in the Kermit distribution. In GNU Emacs they all fused together.

--
Greetings

  Pete

Eat the rich -- the poor are tough and stringy.