RE: thesaurus

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: thesaurus
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 16:25:56 -0800

    First two trivial typos.  In the comments of the file synonyms.el it
    reads:

    ;;    (setq synonyms-cach-file <where you want a cache to be created>)
    ;;    (require 'thesaurus)

    I believe that ``thesaurus'' in the second line should be changed to
    synonyms.  Also the variable name is misspelled in the first line.

The cach- typo was corrected to cache- some time ago. Thanks for the second
typo (I called the library "thesaurus.el" in a preliminary version, and
never corrected the Commentary).

    I cannot make this file work.  When I give (for example)
        M-x synonyms RET buffer RET
    I get
        Looking up  synonyms for "buffer"...
        Recognizing tables...done
        synonyms-read-synonyms-from-cache: End of file during parsing
    After that every time I try to invoke ``synonyms'' I get:
        Looking up  synonyms for "but"...
        synonyms-format-entry: Args out of range: 0, 10
    where the numbers is the position of point.
    M-x version, gives:
        GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll
        bars) of 2005-12-21 on pacem, modified by Debian

1. Download the latest version. You don't say what update number (or date)
of synonyms.el you have, but there was one day when I uploaded the file with
an error that gave args out of range (but not end of file for the cache).
Maybe you picked up that bugged version. Also, what platform (OS) are you
using?

2. I don't recognize the message "Recognizing tables...done". It doesn't
come from synonyms.el, I believe.

3. Remove your synonyms cache file, so the new version will recreate it.

4. Email me off list if you have a problem with the latest version.

Thx.