how to work with unreliable filesystems?

From: Joakim Verona
Subject: how to work with unreliable filesystems?
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 11:58:31 +0100

I have a smb filesystem mounted over a shaky vpn connection.
Much of the time this works, but if the share hangs for some reason,
emacs also stops responding, waiting for the share to come back.

I currently solve this by unmounting/remounting the filesystem, but
its all very inconvenient.

It would be neat if a directory hierarchy could be marked "unstable"
and using copying instead of direct writes, much as Tramp works.

I guess this would ideally be handled at the os level, but I have
twiddled mount paramters back and forth to no avail.

Any hints are apreciated.

--
Joakim Verona
www.verona.se