Re: Setting tab settings?

From: don provan
Subject: Re: Setting tab settings?
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 09:05:27 -0800

Ian Zimmerman <nobrowser@gmail.com> writes:

> Most of the time using tabs is simply a bad idea, I avoid them by
> setting `indent-tab-mode' to nil.

There's nothing wrong with using tabs. What's wrong it changing the
tab stops from the standard setting, making the format of files
containing tabs dependent on your local setting.

And in my experience, 100% of the time, people change the tab stops
because someone somewhere failed to understand the difference between
tab stops and indentation, so thank you for that excellent
explanation. I say we put our efforts into stomping out non-standard
tab stops rather than stomping out tabs altogether.

-don provan