Re: Turn OFF default TRAMP in Emacs 22.x, need VMS access

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Turn OFF default TRAMP in Emacs 22.x, need VMS access
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 23:11:12 -0500

> I have been playing around with newer releases of Emacs, 22.0.50
> recently.  In all cases they have installed TRAMP in lieu of ANGE-FTP.

Huh?  Emacs-22 comes with both ange-ftp and Tramp, both active by default.

> So I want to use ANGE-FTP with Emacs 22.x.  Alas, setting the tramp
> default method, ala (setq tramp-default-method "ftp"), still leaves
> TRAMP in the path being difficult.

What does "leaves TRAMP in the path being difficult" mean?
The setq you show should allow you to use ange-ftp just as before.  If it
doesn't, it's a bug which you should report.  It does go "through" Tramp,
indeed, but there should be no visible slowdown or change of behavior.

> I want to get rid of it.  Completely.

Other than out of irritation, why would you want to do that?

        Stefan