Re: Undo: restore the region?

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: Undo: restore the region?
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 16:00:35 +0000

> How can I get undo to restore the region along with the last changes?
> I need this rather often in my workflow, and undo always removes the
> mark, which is very annoying.

C-x C-x should reactivate it.

Thanks, that's a good start. It works in some situations, but only for one step of Undo.

Consider the following case:

In the above sentence, select "good" as your region and enter "x". Then select "some" and press x again. Now do undo twice and press C-x C-x. I would expect "good" to be selected.

I was going to bind my undo key to something like (lambda nil (interactive) (undo) (exchange-point-and-mark)) but obviously undo would have to work in several steps without selecting wrong text.

- D