Re: Serach and replace in all buffers

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Serach and replace in all buffers
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 21:57:32 +0200

> Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 08:57:22 -0800 (PST)
> From: "AndyJB (sent by Nabble.com)" <lists@nabble.com>
>
> Is there a way of searching and replacing across all open buffers? I know you
> can use a tags file to search across multiple files but that's not quite what
> I'm looking for - it's inconvenient having to regenerate the tags file all
> the time (why oh why isn't that automatic?) and doesn't necessarily
> correspond to which files are currently open.

You don't need to regenerate the TAGS file unless you add or delete
files, functions, macros, or typedefs.  And for the purpose of search
and replace, you don't need to regenerate unless some files were added
or deleted.

An alternative method of multi-file search and replace is the Q
command in Dired buffers.  You mark those files in which you wish to
search and replace, and then press Q; the rest is just like with TAGS,
except that no TAGS file is needed.