Re: newbie needs help

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: newbie needs help
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 09:51:40 +0000

arnuld fraser <arnuld3@gmail.com> wrote on Mon, 23 Jan 2006 12:03:47 +0530:

> hello everyone,

> i am posting this mail here because i did not find any Emacs-LISP
> mailing-list/newsgroup.

OK, first tip:  Posting in HTML and idiotic "quoted printable", complete
with MIME gunge, doesn't increase your chances of sensible replies.  It
more than doubles the size of your post, and all that crud needs
stripping out/reformatting before somebody can reply.  Use plain text!

> I want to start a new language and i want to know if learnig Emacs-LISP
> is also useful as a way  to start earning ( except thta it is fun using
> Emacs-LISP). I know it is a full language like "python" and "C" . i
> read some pages of  "An introduction to programming in Emacs LISP" by
> Mr.  Chassell and i liked it, that was a great time. I am asking
> because i need to earn and at the  same time i want to keep fun in
> programming. explanation on question is little bit lengthy, but i will
> really feel  thankful to you if you may spend some of your important
> time.

> thanks.

>   i have 2 very simple questions. After asking my questions i will explain
> them a little bit so  that your answer can be personalised according to  my
> purpose, understanding-level and choices.

> Q: should i start SCHEME, Emacs-LISP, some other LISP (& which
> implementation) or RUBY? will     learning Emacs-LISP help me to start
> earning?

There is little, if any, money to be earned programming Emacs Lisp.
There might be a little more (but not much) in Scheme or Common Lisp.

> Q; which books (for RUBY i already have the answer)?

If you want book recommendations, the GNU mailing lists/newsgroups aren't
really the place to ask.  The GNU policy is that "non-free" books (which
includes nearly all published books) shouldn't be identified on its
mailing lists.  You'd do better asking in the newsgroup comp.emacs, for
example.

> 1.       presently i am learning through HTDP. i am working at part-2
> for now and within next 3 months  i will finish this book. In the
> "preface" of the book it is very clearley written :

I don't know what HTDP is.

> -- HTDP does not teach "how to programme in scheme" but rather it
> teaches students "how to design programmes" hence for this purpose it
> uses only a small number of scheme constructs and a  dozen or so basic
> scheme functions.  someone who wishes to use scheme as a tool will need
> to read additional material--

That's good stuff to learn.  Sadly, the world is not short of programmers
who don't know how to design programs.  ;-(  However, having got the
basic ideas, you should then be able to pick up the rest by just reading
fine manuals and playing with the stuff.

> that's ok because i did not pick that book for learning scheme. My
> intentions match the title of  HTDP. anyway, from experience with this
> book i know that by the time i will finish this book i  will have a
> good knowledge of scheme language (around 40%).

> 2.       now since i have a good amount of knowledge of how scheme
> language works i want to know  whether i should start scheme or LISP,
> if LISP then which LISP? i prefer a language which has  greater
> practical orientation & that is the one reason i am posting this
> question since i do not  know. 2nd reason is I am not so good at
> Mathematics. i am Bachelor of Science, so i know more Maths than other
> people but still i am not so good. On the contray i love to programme &
> enjoying my time through HTDP.

Lisp (including its variants) is possibly the best programming language
ever invented.  It is supremely regular in its syntax, very readable, and
very easy to write.  If you ever try C or C++, you'll start wondering
what their inventors were smoking at the time.  ;-)

[ .... ]

> so i sum-up

>    1.will go through HTDP hence 40% of scheme languge is done there. (so
> will not be a newbie  like at present)

>    2. a language which is useful for earning (i mean real-life projects) .

Maybe Java.

>    3. not so good at Maths but love to programme.

Maths, as such, isn't relevant to much programming.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: aacm@muuc.dee; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter