Re: Commands not working

From: Harald Hanche-Olsen
Subject: Re: Commands not working
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 17:39:20 +0100

Hmm, I think the other people responding haven't read this very
carefully, so they missed important clues in the original post.

+ "mudgen@gmail.com" <mudgen@gmail.com>:

| The commands don't seem to be working for me. For instance, I start up
| Emacs. Then I try to exit so I type: C-x C-c and my screen just blinks
| and nothing happens. I do it again and my screen just blinks and
| nothing happens, I do it again and same thing, I do it again and I get
| this new screen that starts off saying " This buffer is for notes you
| don't want to save, and for Lisp evaluation.",

A-HA!  So, you started emacs from a terminal window, nothing much
happened in said terminal window, you typed all these commands in the
terminal window, which doesn't work because emacs, being an X client
if it can and you're not telling it to, likes to open its own window.

So go back to square one: In your terminal window, type "emacs &"
(without the quotes of course) and hit RETURN.  Now wait for the new
window to pop up: The one you described as a "new screen" above. That
window IS your emacs!  Type your commands to that window, NOT to the
original terminal window.  Everything should now work as expected.

(If not, make sure the new window has keyboard focus, that is, that
keypresses go to the emacs window.  What you need to be sure of that
depends on your window manager and how it is configured.  If placing
the mouse cursor over the window is insufficient, click on it.)

- Debating gives most of us much more psychological satisfaction
  than thinking does: but it deprives us of whatever chance there is
  of getting closer to the truth.  -- C.P. Snow