Re: two utf-8 questions

From: François Gannaz
Subject: Re: two utf-8 questions
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 10:50:14 +0100

Le sam 28 jan 19:30, B. T. Raven a écrit :
> 1)
>
> Even though the following is in my .emacs:
>
>  (setq default-buffer-file-coding-system 'utf-8)
>
> when I type 'C-x ret f' I see the prompt:
>
> Coding system for visited file (default, nil) instead of (default, utf-8)
>
> There are contexts where I need to specify utf-8 here, or else the file
> won't be saved in the correct format. This seems to be true even if the
> file header ;; -*- coding: utf-8 -*- is present. Why is this?

Emacs'support of utf-8 is still a bit mysterious to me. You might try a
few other settings:
(setq-default enable-multibyte-characters t)
(setq locale-coding-system 'utf-8)
(setq coding-category-list '(coding-category-utf-8
 coding-category-iso-8-1 coding-category-iso-8-2
 coding-category-iso-7-tight coding-category-iso-7
 coding-category-iso-7-else coding-category-iso-8-else
 coding-category-sjis coding-category-utf-16-le coding-category-utf-16-be
 coding-category-emacs-mule coding-category-raw-text coding-category-big5
 coding-category-ccl coding-category-binary))

Have you also tried to see what happened without your init file
(run "emacs -q") and then evaluating your utf-8 settings? There might be
some package you use that breaks the unicode support.

> 2)
>
> Has it been pretty much decided that copypasting Unicode using the
> clipboard between emacs and MS apps is impossible for OS versions earlier
> than W2000? Even though most of what I read on emacs-devel is Greek to me,
> I try to glean whatever I can from postings relating to w32. After many
> months of lurking there I am beginning to suspect that some of the
> following settings are particularly inappropriate:
>
> (set-language-environment               'UTF-8)
>         (set-default-coding-systems             'utf-8)
>         (setq file-name-coding-system           'utf-8)
>         (setq default-buffer-file-coding-system 'utf-8)
>         (setq coding-system-for-write           'utf-8)
>         (set-keyboard-coding-system             'utf-8)
>         (set-terminal-coding-system             'utf-8)
>         (set-clipboard-coding-system            'utf-8)
>         (set-selection-coding-system            'utf-8)
>         (prefer-coding-system                   'utf-8)
>         (modify-coding-system-alist 'process
> "[cC][mM][dD][pP][rR][oO][xX][yY]" 'utf-8-dos)
>
> What could the clipboard and  selection variables be set to in order to
> give me a better chance of copypasting Unicode successfully?

I don't know well the Windows world, but I'm sure that win98 and earlier
don't handle unicode. Of course, some apps can use utf-8, but the system
won't be able to handle this. For other OS like winME, I have no clue.
Is it even possible to copypaste unicode between ms apps ?

--
François Gannaz