Re: two utf-8 questions

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: two utf-8 questions
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 11:00:33 +0100

Am 29.01.2006 um 05:06 schrieb B. T. Raven:

when I type 'C-x ret f' I see the prompt:

Coding system for visited file (default, nil) instead of (default,
utf-8)

Maybe you need a: (prefer-coding-system   'utf-8)

I already have that (see below). If I respond to the prompt with a bare carriage return the '-u' in the mode line changes to -- and the file won't
be saved with utf-8 encoding. It seems that shouldn't happen.

Once you've set GNU Emacs to handle file contents as UTF-8 you should not need to open files with C-x RET f etc. It should stick to this encoding automatically when you open them with v or e in dired-mode or with C-x f. For me a header line like

        ;;; -*- mode: Text; coding: utf-8; -*-

works fine and converts every stubborn file contents. Another way is to use at the file's end:

        %
        % Local Variables:
        % mode: LaTeX
        % fill-column: 160
        % coding-system: utf-8-emacs-dos
        % End:
        %
        %%

--
Greetings

  Pete

"Computers are good at following instructions,
but not at reading your mind."
D. E. Knuth, The TeXbook, Addison-Wesley 1984, 1986, 1996, p. 9