Weird emacs behavior

From: Leo Chang
Subject: Weird emacs behavior
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 22:38:16 -0800

There is an unexplained behavior that we’ve seen on a few machines we have with emacs.  These are Redhat Enterprise Linux boxes that we usually ssh to.  Xforwarding works fine.  All X apps including emacs work fine.  Then, after a long time (weeks or months), emacs stops appearing in its own window when you ssh into the box.  Instead, after a long wait, it croaks with something like “Connection Lost to Xserver. localhost 10:0.”

At this point, you can open ALL X applications except for emacs.  Xeyes, xclock, xterm, firefox all work!  But not emacs.  “emacs –nw” does work, and emacs in its own Xwindow works if you’re directly on the machine.  However, emacs will not open without the –nw option thru ssh.  (Even though it did while the machine was running for quite some time.)  Restarting the machine fixes the problem.

Has anyone ever seen this behavior?  The emacs version is 21.3.1.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.