Re: get root on a remote Host

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: get root on a remote Host
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 10:20:06 +0100

Lado <newsforlado@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi!

Hi,

> Ich use emacs 22. I use Tramp over ssh to edit my files on remote Hosts
> very often. From time to time i need to get root on a remote host. There
> is no Problem to get root on the localhost with /su::, but i was not
> able to find any solution how to get root on a localhost.
> P.S.
> i can not login as root on a remote host, because ssh root login are not
> permitted.

How can you be root on your remote host? I suspect you login via ssh
under your own name onto that host, and then you apply "su" or
"sudo". This behaviour can be simulated with Tramp using a multi-hop
method, something like "/multi:ssh:remote.host:su:root@localhost:/".

Note that the syntax has been changed with Tramp 2.1. But with plain
Emacs 22, you have Tramp 2.0.

> Thank you!

Best regards, Michael.