Re: emacs 21.3.1 not loading .emacs

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: emacs 21.3.1 not loading .emacs
Date: 2 Feb 2006 00:10:16 -0800

Kevin Rodgers wrote:

> pranavtiwari@gmail.com wrote:
> > On my Unix machine, emacs is not loading .emacs.
> >
> > If I start emacs as:
> >
> >  % emacs -u $USER
> >
> > emacs starts up correctly with my .emacs loaded. However, if I start it
> > without -u option, it ignores my .emacs.
> >
> > Can someone suggest what the problem could be?
>
> What do these commands tell you:
> C-h v user-login-name

root (wrong)

Where is this picked up from? Help says "The user's name, taken from
environment variables if possible.".  My $USER is set correctly. What
other variable could it be trying to use?

> C-h v user-real-login-name

pranav (correct)

> C-h v user-init-file

nil (i assume default will be meaningful)

> C-h v init-file-user

root

> Does the problem persist when you start emacs as:
> emacs --debug-init

Yes it does.

BTW, when I start emacs with -u pranav, the values are:

user-login-name : root (wrong)
user-real-login-name: pranav (correct)
user-init-file: /users/pranav/.emacs
init-file-user: pranav

user-init-file in the normal case is suspect. Given that .emacs is not
being read, how is it supposed to be set before reading the init file?

regards,
-p