Re: emacs 21.3.1 not loading .emacs

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: emacs 21.3.1 not loading .emacs
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 12:31:38 -0700

pranavtiwari@gmail.com wrote:
> Kevin Rodgers wrote:
> > What do these commands tell you:
> > C-h v user-login-name
>
> root (wrong)
>
> Where is this picked up from? Help says "The user's name, taken from
> environment variables if possible.".  My $USER is set correctly. What
> other variable could it be trying to use?

The value of the user-login-name variable should be the same as the
result of the user-login-name function; is it?

,----[ C-h f user-login-name RET ]

`----

> > C-h v user-real-login-name
>
> pranav (correct)

Again, see the corresponding function:

,----[ C-h f user-real-login-name RET ]
| user-real-login-name is a built-in function.
| (user-real-login-name)
|
| Return the name of the user's real uid, as a string.
| This ignores the environment variables LOGNAME and USER, so it differs from
| `user-login-name' when running under `su'.
`----

My guess is that you logged in as root, then su'ed to pranav without the
- argument.

> > C-h v user-init-file
>
> nil (i assume default will be meaningful)

No, it's more complicated than that.  It gets set to t by the
command-line function in startup.el, then reset either to the actual
file name (by a call to load) or to nil (if load can't find the file).

> > C-h v init-file-user
>
> root
>
> > Does the problem persist when you start emacs as:
> > emacs --debug-init
>

> Yes it does.
>
> BTW, when I start emacs with -u pranav, the values are:
>
> user-login-name : root (wrong)
> user-real-login-name: pranav (correct)
> user-init-file: /users/pranav/.emacs
> init-file-user: pranav
>
> user-init-file in the normal case is suspect. Given that .emacs is not
> being read, how is it supposed to be set before reading the init file?

It's not, see the command-line function in startup.el.

--
Kevin Rodgers