Re: two utf-8 questions

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: two utf-8 questions
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2006 23:14:30 -0500

> Apparently the clipboard and selection coding systems affect the
> locale-coding-system value which shows as iso-8859-1.  Still, a buffer
> that correctly shows unicode glyphs and which has -u in the mode line
> should be saved with the utf-8 encoding.

The -u just says "this file will be saved in utf-8 if all goes well".
But if the buffer contains chars which Emacs doesn't know how to save in
utf-8, it will use something else (and update the mode line
correspondingly).

> When I issue C-x C-s,

What happened at that step: did it complain?  Did the "-u" part change?
If not, then the file was properly saved using the utf-8 encoding.

> C-x k, and then C-x C-f with the same file name, the utf-8 encoding has
> been lost.

You mean that utf-8 encoding in the file is not properly recognized and the
non-ascii chars appear as "garbage"?

That sounds like a bug I don't know, or some special case due to special
unencodable bytes in your original buffer.  Give us more hard data (file
name, file contents, ...).

And start by removing most of your .emacs munging.
Just keep: (set-language-environment 'UTF-8)

        Stefan