Re: power-reader-mode

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: power-reader-mode
Date: 12 Feb 2006 01:28:16 +1100

Joakim Verona <joakim@verona.se> writes:

> Fabian Braennstroem <f.braennstroem@gmx.de> writes:
>
> There is "speedread.el" that does exactly that.
>
> I've used it and its pretty neat!
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > as a Emacs-User I have to read a lot and now using Gnus even more :-)
> > Does a package exist which can work as a 'power-reader'? I.e. when I mark a
> > region and start the power-reader-mode, a small buffer opens, in which the
> > words are printed one after another (maybe two or three).
> >
> > Greetings!
> > --
> > Fabian Braennstroem
> > Duesseldorf/Berlin
>
> --
> Joakim Verona
> www.verona.se

there is an even better solution IMO.

Check out festival and testival.el or speech-dispatcher and speechd-el
or emacspeak. All of these packages give you speech (text-to-speech)
facilities from within emacs.

So, instead of sitting there reading the documentation, you can
actually have your computer read it to you. After a while, you get use
to the speech and can increase the speeds. I use such a fast speed
now, nobody else can understand what is being said, but I can listen
to it and get through as much as I use to get through by reading for
the same time.

Tim

--
Tim Cross