Re: Strange behavior in search-forward-regexp?

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Strange behavior in search-forward-regexp?
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 20:33:53 +0100

Am 11.02.2006 um 20:00 schrieb Mattis:

In buffer 0, test1 and test2 willreturn the same result, "row1;test1",
but in buffer 1, test1 will return "\nrow1;test1" (\n is a newline)
and test2 "row1;test1".

I've seen the same behaviour of search-forward-regexp "^[^;]+;.*text" a few times, wrapping around into the next line. It's obvious that newline is not semicolon, so it complies with the search regexp. I have no better advice than to use a non-discriminating regexp, i.e. search for a set of real characters.

It would probably make more sense to learn the new set of descriptors for regexp's (the Perl look alikes), and in which version of GNU Emacs they actually work ...

--
Greetings

  Pete

“Computers are good at following instructions, but not at reading your mind.”
   - D. E. Knuth, The TeXbook, Addison-Wesley 1984, 1986, 1996, p. 9