Re: Fw: Displaying emacs remote

From: Colin S. Miller
Subject: Re: Fw: Displaying emacs remote
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 20:37:37 +0000

Moheb Missaghi wrote:

Hi,
I'd like to run emacs on my machine (XP SP2) and share the display with someone else, i.e., surfing my files on my machine while someone else on his machine also see what I am doing. Is this doable? thx

Moheb,

This is possible on *NIX systems, or using the cygwin version of windows.
However cygwin can be a steep learning curve.

You can use make-frame-on-display to create a frame on another machine. The
buffers are shared; the remote user can see all the changes you make (and
make thier own changes). However, they can't see the minibuffer, and swapping
the
current buffer aren't synced between the displays.

If you want to see all that the remote user is doing then I suggest that you
start
emacs inside a kibitz or xkibitz shell. You'll have to start emacs in console
mode using
emacs -nw.  (x)kibitz allows any console program to have two controlling
consoles -
the program isn't aware of this.

xkibitz ensures that the terminals are the same size, which will stop emacs
getting confused, kibitz doesn't do this. However, kibitz can work over a
telnet or ssh
connection, xkibitz needs an X connection.

HTH,
Colin S. Miller

--
Replace the obvious in my email address with the first three letters of the
hostname to reply.