Re: Emacs for Windows?

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: Emacs for Windows?
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 17:11:54 +0100

Ramprasad B <ramprasad_i82@yahoo.com> writes:

> Other systems are which are being released early
> from it's previous releases, quite conforms to the quality.

when emacs runs fine, that is when you perceive quality.  when emacs crashes
or misbehaves, that is when you perceive lack of (or low) quality.  any other
perception of quality is an indirect one.  (according to pirsig, with whom i
agree for the most part.)

> i made this point not for my Emacs enjoyment.

yes, and drescher wishes the toaster to be happy, too.

> If a system is not being released early from it's previous releases, the
> users (novice / experienced) from FOSS world and proprietary world (more),
> lose interest in that particular system, because the first impression the
> user gets is, the system development is not active / outdated.

in losing interest, they lose the opportunity to enjoy emacs, but gain the
opportunity to suffer for their prejudice.

> Do we need this ?

personally, i only need bug reports every once in a while.  people losing
interest and therefore not using emacs do not impact my emacs enjoyment.

> We need to get more and more users from closed source domain world also.

everyone has their path and their method of plo{tt,dd}ing along it.

> For e.g. If a novice user from proprietary world
> wants to just taste FOSS world system, he won't be
> having enough patience as much as experienced FOSS user to get from
> CVS, compile, etc - the latest version of the system, which is not
> yet released officially.

and yet they have patience to endure unseen conju{g,r}ations of their
cpu over their data and disk.  perhaps this can lead to more patience.

> So, at the first place if we make an good impression of the system, we
> hit the target half way through in getting more users, especially from
> proprietary world.

on the other hand, if people realize that proprietary world is bizarre
and far from home, they may return to us, eventually, having grown tired
of the forced vacation.  the first impression has already been made and
lost for these people -- it is their lot to rediscover this.

thi