Re: How can I stop Emacs from messing up my code by changing case

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: How can I stop Emacs from messing up my code by changing case
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 08:43:39 -0600

"anne001" <anne@wjh.harvard.edu> writes:

> I am using gnu emacs november 2005, 22.0.50.1 for mac I tried C-h b
> and got a whole list of bindings! nothing about capitalization
> there.
>
> I found the apple C binding for capitalization in this list
> http://otn.oracle.com/jdeveloper/help/__inl.inline.true/__inl.topic.ide_rkeymapemacs_html/__inl.html
> apple C seemed the most likely culprit
>
> and apple C does behave to capitalize words and it does turn GLUT
> into Glut
>
> I can bind apple C to nothing, but if I restart emacs, the new
> binding is forgotten.  So I don't have a permanent fix for now

As a fellow Mac user, my advice is to read the documentation for
Emacs, especially what do with with your .emacs (the equivalent of a
prefs file).  Emacs operates like nothing in the Mac world, it is its
own beast with its own terminology and conventions.  I read once that
Emacs is "more than an application and not quite an operating system."

You don't say if you are using a Carbon Emacs build or using it under
X11 or even in Terminal.  That can make a big difference in how the
application behaves.  Aquamacs is much more "Mac-familiar" in that
many of the normal Mac keybindings are useable (e.g., copy, cut,
paste, open, etc).  There are some Carbon Emacsen with some adapted
keybindings, too.

In all cases, though, you will want to learn how to use the .emacs
file to control how emacs operates on your computer.  That means
learning a little bit of Emacs' Lisp dialect.  The built-in tutorial
covers some of this, and there are various sources on the Internet
that are also helpful.  All of the Emacs documentation is available on
the Web as well as built-in to Emacs, and there are things like the
Emacswiki besides.