Re: Space in compiler file name

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Space in compiler file name
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 21:51:37 +0200

> From: Brian Elmegaard <brian@rkspeed-rugby.dk>
> Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 22:42:56 +0100
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > Did you try to quote the file name which has the embedded spaces?
>
> Yes, I have tried:
> c:/program files/dna/bin/dna.exe
> 'c:/program files/dna/bin/dna.exe'
> "c:/program files/dna/bin/dna.exe"
> c:/program\ files/dna/bin/dna.exe

The one with ".." should have worked.  Please show the full
customization command that uses double quotes, perhaps something was
wrong in how you escaped quotes within a string.

Also, do you have some port of a Unix shell (sh.exe) installed?  If
so, is it by any chance a Cygwin port?

> I can do it in the windows shell. So emacs somehow interferes when it
> passes this to the shell.

Does it work to invoke that compiler via "M-!" (again, with quoting as
if you were typing at the shell's prompt)?

> How could I escape or quote a space in a shell command?

With double quotes.  Except for bugs or cockpit errors, it should have
worked.