Re: Passing tab to inferiors shell in Shell mode

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: Passing tab to inferiors shell in Shell mode
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 07:56:18 -0500

In article <1140763831.980129.168280@p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com>,
 "PT" <spamfilteraccount@gmail.com> wrote:

> > M-x terminal-emulator
>
> This doesn't seem to do what I want. I only want to send raw TAB
> characters to the inferior shell. All other keybindings should retain
> their normal behavior as in shell-mode.
>
> This way I could enjoy the advantages of shell mode while using the
> superior completion implementation of the inferior shell.

The problem is that shell-mode is NOT a video terminal emulator.  Even
if you send TAB, the shell you're sending to won't be able to do all the
cursor control to display completions -- the escape sequences will just
show up as literal characters in the buffer.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA