Re: Making use of the "windows"-keys

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: Making use of the "windows"-keys
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 22:33:07 GMT

<fugundrecht@gmail.com> wrote in message
1140888768.633586.73110@t39g2000cwt.googlegroups.com">news:1140888768.633586.73110@t39g2000cwt.googlegroups.com...
> Hi there
>
> due to ergonomic reasons I want to use the "windows"-keys for ctrl,
> they are so more conviently accesible with the thumbs.
> Unfortunately I have no programming skill whatsoever and would
> therefore appreciate any idea how to get this done.
>
> Greetings
> Norbert

I think this is an operating system question. For Linux, etc. see:

http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/Keyboard-and-Console-HOWTO.html#ss5.1
3

For win2000 or more, google on Registry and keyboard key swap, etc.

For win98 or less it's almost impossible without something that works like
this:

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Ctrl2Cap9x.html

To modify this for your purposes would require a lot of knowledge of msw
and assembly language.

I want to do something similar on win98: Swap the winapps key and the
right control key to make the dvorak keyboard symetrical. Any one know how
to do that?

As far as I know, Emacs capabilities for msw os's along these lines are
limited to these forms, which I find in my .emacs:

(setq w32-pass-lwindow-to-system nil
      w32-pass-rwindow-to-system nil
      w32-pass-apps-to-system    nil
      w32-lwindow-modifier       'super   ;; Left Windows
      w32-rwindow-modifier       'super   ;; Right Windows
      w32-apps-modifier          'hyper)  ;; App-Menu (key to right of
Right Windows)

So it looks like you could at least (if you are using msw) substitute
'control where I have 'super.  This would leave you with 2 left control
keys and 2 rights.

By the way, I can't get my thumbs closer to those keys unless I cross my
hands. Are you using a special keyboard?

Ed