per-buffer color

From: Bucky Goldberg
Subject: per-buffer color
Date: 28 Feb 2006 08:19:57 -0800

Hi Folks

Emacs 22 has the useful concept of active/inactive mode-line faces that
make it easier to distinguish selected from non-selected windows.  I'd
like to take this concept a little further: coloring the background
(and perhaps even the various faces) of individual open files from a
pre-selected list of schemes.

I usually have between three and six windows open in a frame and one
buffer is often displayed multiple times. It would be nice if I could
tell at a glance which ones represent the same buffer and which are
different buffers.

Is it possible to do this?

Thanks