Re: clearing all lisp definitions

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: clearing all lisp definitions
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 13:10:11 +0100

Dieter Wilhelm <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de> writes:

> Is there any function which clears all unnecessary lisp
> definitions in the interpreter and leaves a running Emacs in a
> state as if just started with -Q?

well, you could try:

(defun those-who-do-not-study-history--- ()
  (interactive)
  (let ((kill-emacs-hook nil))
    (kill-emacs "emacs -Q")))

but that's probably not completely portable, besides being overkill.

> I'm tinkering around with my own mode and I'm concerned that
> some old remaining definitions might interfere when loading a
> modified mode file. So I'd prefer to start with a clean slate
> (without quitting Emacs every time).

you can clear out all the functions and variables whose names
begin w/ a prefix using `mapatoms' with a function that recognizes
those names and makes their definitions void via `fmakunbound' and
`makunbound', respectively.

thi