Re: Emacs as the desktop?

From: Xavier Maillard
Subject: Re: Emacs as the desktop?
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 12:00:44 +0100

   From: William Xu <william.xwl@gmail.com>

   "gamename" <namesagame-usenet@yahoo.com> writes:

   > I normally run emacs inside a vnc session with "blackbox" and the
   > desktop manager.  Is there any way to simply use Emacs as the desktop
   > manager instead?

   I found this, http://www.nongnu.org/xwem/, but only for XEmacs. I
   haven't tried it myself, as i don't use XEmacs.

I discussed with XWEM original author a while back and adding GNU Emacs
support was on his todo list. I do not know if the project is still maintained
though.

I also read yesterday that someone on the sawfish mailing list wanted to have
some kind of interaction between sawfish and GNU Emacs.

At last, ion3 comes with mod_ionflux which has now his GNU Emacs module.
Mod_ionflux allows one to (remotely or not) control ion3: really neat.

Xavier