Re: rookie warning Can I search files from dired?

From: kgold
Subject: Re: rookie warning Can I search files from dired?
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 16:40:20 -0500

If you're not good at regexp, dired can be difficult.

An alternative is M-x igrep. Then you can specify the file names in the more common shell format. E.g., *.[ch] or *.txt. M-x next-error can be used to step through the matches.

bp1497@att.com wrote:
I have dired showing me all the files in a directory, can I execute
some kind of search on these files from the dired screen.

I know I can do M-x shell, grep some_thing files.